Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2012 21:48:06 +0100
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web Site and gnats not being updated via CVSup

On 25 December 2012 20:49, John Marshall
<john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2012, 11:06 +0100, Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:
>>
>> I didn't have a chance to look into it now, but it was a side effect
>> of a recent step in reworking the www infrastructure where
>> www.FreeBSD.org doesn't currently point to the actual web server, but
>> a frontend reverse proxy. Unfortunately the cvsup pull from
>> cvsup-master of web data used www as a name so it broke when the DNS
>> entry for www was updated. I fixed this now, and I can see on
>> cvsup-master that the latest sync actually pulled changes.
>
> Thank you, Simon, for attending to this.  I have just checked several
> WWW mirrors and all appear to be up to date again.

Great!

>> The problem with GNATS is that cvsupd is broken on FreeBSD 10, and the
>> master source of GNATS data (freefall) runs FreeBSD 10.0.
>>
>> See also: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-December/071364.html
>
> So, if the Project is deciding to bury CVSup as soon as possible, is a

It's not as much as soon as possible (e.g. core decided to support 9.1
on cvsup so that's for the next 2 years).

For GNAT's it wasn't planned to stop support it, cvsup just broke on
FreeBSD 10 and setting up rsync was deemed less work considering the
expected relatively few downstream users, and that active work is in
progress to replace GNATS.

> new method of distributing the web site to WWW mirrors being planned
> (e.g. rsync)? or will the existing mirrors be decommissioned to make way

If cvsup were to die for technical reasons, rsync would certainly be
the obvious replacement at the moment.

> for the new Project-owned-and-operated infrastructre?

With regard to other www mirrors, no decision has been taken on this
either way. I personally think that there are too many currently,
based on how many are out of date, but before being able to comment on
having more or fewer mirrors in general, somebody (else) need to look
into how many users there actually are of the web mirrors and if
people actually find them useful.

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen