Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 16:18:47 +0900 (JST)
From:      Arizona Coyote <coyote@ratbert.aisol.net>
To:        Brandon Hicks <freebsd@unreal.gatekeep.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mac - FreeBSD - DOS

Hi,

There is a set of utilities for reading Mac disks call hfsutils.  You can
obtain it at:

   http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/hfs/

It compiled easuily for my using NetBSD on my Mac Centris 650 and I see no
reason why it should not work under FreeBSD.  Note that tyhis pacj\kage
allows you to access the Mac HFS file sructure but you are not mounting it
in the traditional sense.  You use special commands like

  hmount -- to "mount" the disk
  hcopy -- to copy files back and forth
  hdir -- to list the files

It is more like FTP than directly accessing the file system.  There is
also a Tk/Tcl-based X interface.

Hope this helps.

Mark

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Brandon Hicks wrote:

> Well, seeing that someone has asked about old and gone media, (8" drive) i'm asking this....
>
> We have an old Mac, it was hit by Lighting. Will not even attempt to come up. Is there a way to mount a Mac SCSI drive into a FreeBSD Box?!  I have the correct SCSI card, and it looks like it would work. but this is in the office main server, i do not wish to kill it, just in case... after that, i know how to mount a DOS drive and use the files that are on the FreeBSD drive, after i copied them off of the Mac Drive.
>
> Now, If i have not lost any one, can someone help?
> i'm running 2.2.2 FreeBSD BTW....

Mark Andres               E-mail: coyote@ratbert.aisol.net
  / 100% Microsoft Free thanks to NetBSD and FreeBSD! \
         Mac Centris 650: NetBSD 1.2-current
        IBM ThinkPad 220: FreeBSD 3.0-current
Macintosh IIcx: NetBSD 1.2.1 | http://bullwinkle.aisol.net/