Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:22:08 -0400
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        mstark1@cfl.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best X Windows Manager for Newbies

Well, Mike, both KDE (especially v2.2) and GNOME/Enlightenment
are pigs. Enlightenment's a pig by itself, but it's a very pretty
pig. You just might be able to make a silk purse from E's ear.

But I digress. I find that IceWM looks quite a bit like the
Windows interface: taskbar on bottom, button triggering main menu
in bottom left corner, etc. It also runs like a bat out of Hell,
and doesn't hog much memory or CPU.

If you want to check it out, look at [ http://www.icewm.org/ ].
Since I use it most of the time, I can answer questions related
to installation and/or configuration.

Also, you might consider running Window Maker (website at [
http://www.windowmaker.org ]). It's interface is based on
NeXTStep/Mac, and is almost as fast as IceWM. However, you might
find IceWM easier to get used to at first.

******
Matthew Graybosch [matthew@starbreaker.net]
http://www.starbreaker.net :: where dreams and reality collide

The SNAFU Principle: "True communication is possible only between
equals, because inferiors are more consistently rewarded for
telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the
truth."