Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2001 16:27:33 -0500
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Matlab on 4.2?

Brandon Fosdick wrote:

> Glenn Johnson wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 03:32:36PM -0500, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to install Matlab for Linux 5.3 on FreeBSD (stable, rebuilt
> > > yesterday). Does anybody have it working? Somebody in the archives
> > > mentioned having to install the Linux version of tar but the installer
> > > doesn't seem to be getting that far.
> >
> > I see no reason why you would need the Linux version of tar.
> >

> > > Here's what happens to me:
> > > 15:18 bfoz@806a-117~#/cdrom/install
> > >
> > >     Sorry! We could not determine the machine architecture for your
> > >            host. Please contact:
> > >
> > >                MathWorks Technical Support
> > >
> > >            for further assistance.
> > >

> > >     Sorry! Setup aborted . . .
> > >

> > You do not give any specifics so I will have to assume that the install
> > script is calling uname.  I do not use Matlab but the above is most
> > likely due to the install script calling uname with an absolute path.
> > Binaries are stored in different areas on FreeBSD and Linux.  For
> > instance, uname is in '/usr/bin' on FreeBSD but '/bin' on RedHat.  Try
> > running the install script with the Linux shell (you do have Linux
> > compatibility enabled and the linux_base-6.1 port installed, right?).
> > So try the following:
> >
> > /compat/linux/bin/sh /cdrom/install
> >
> > This will cause the install script to be run under the linux shell
> > where it will pick up uname in /bin as it sees it, but it is actually
> > in /compat/linux/bin.  The linux compatibility module will cause
> > /compat/linux to be the root of the filesystem for linux applications.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
>
> That works much better, the installer now runs to completion.
> Unfortunately it won't create any directories. If I manually create the
> directories it won't copy files into them. Its weird though cause the
> installer doesn't complain about not copying the files, it just finishes
> and exits, you have to look in the install log file to see that errors
> were generated (no such file or directory type errors).
>
> Is there some reason why it wouldn't be able to create the directories?
> I'm installing to /compat/linux/usr/matlabr11. I've tried making the
> install directory world read/write but that doesn't seem to help. Are
> there issues with linux compat and coying from cdrom?

I figured it out. This is why you the message in the archives talked
about installing the Linux version of tar. The installed, running in
Linux land, can't find /usr/bin/tar. Instead of installing tar I just
symlink'd to the /usr/local/bin/tar and everything worked.

Now my problem is getting Matlab itself to run.

Here's what I get running it straight out...
16:22 bfoz@806a-117~>/compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab

    Sorry! We could not determine the machine architecture for your
           host. Please contact:

               MathWorks Technical Support

           for further assistance.

..so I slap myself for being stupid and try this...

16:25 bfoz@806a-117~>/compat/linux/bin/sh
/compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab
/compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab: /dev/null: Permission denied

Internal error 1: We could not determine the path of the
                  MATLAB root directory.

                  original command path =
/compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab
                  current  command path =
/compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab

                  Please contact:

                      MathWorks Technical Support

                  for further assistance.

So far the only way around this that I've found is to su before running
the above. I don't like running Matlab as root so I'm still looking for
a solution. Any ideas? Maybe I'll try changing the perms on /dev/null...