Date:      Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:50:33 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question regarding netgraph and threading

All:

I have several large PPTP servers which are currently using ppp(8)
and PoPTop (a userland PPTP server daemon which is, unfortunately,
GPLed). They're having trouble under heavy loads, and so I'd like
to switch to mpd5. However, even though mpd5 handles network
connections in the kernel, via netgraph, I am worried about performance.

As far as I can see, all netgraph operations are performed by a
single kernel thread named "ng_queue", while ppp(8) and PoPToP use
many processes and thus can distribute their work among multiple CPU cores.

Is netgraph able to multithread, or is there a way to make it do so?

--Brett Glass