Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:50:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        cchrstns@sdln.net (Corey A. Christians)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shutdown

Corey, you are using a broken mailer or need to find the <enter> key a
bit more frequently. Your mail was all on one line.

Corey A. Christians wrote,
> I know that teh HP flavor of UNIX allows users that cannot be root perform a shutdown.  I was wondering if FreeBSD has this feature as well.  I travel quite and it would be useful if someone else could reboot while I am away.

% ls -l `which shutdown`
-r-sr-x---  1 root  operator  147456 Jul 22  1998 /sbin/shutdown

shutdown is a setuid command. It is simply a matter of using chmod to
give other users access to it. To reboot the system,

% shutdown -r now

I actually have to have machines set up with 4555 permissions on
shutdown to allow users to swap OS's in and out at will.