Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 1996 06:22:31 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A FreeBSD firewall.

>I'll offer up my guesses...
>> the links are link#1, I only have one ethernet card in the machine now,
>> and it still reports link#2?
>
>Link# can also report which jack you are using.  On some cards, link#1 is
>the BNC connector and link#2 is the TP connector.

   Nice guess, but wrong. :-) You're thinking of the interface flags; very
different. The "link#" should increment by one with each interface added. I
think the fact that #1 doesn't exist might be an artifact of some old code in
the ep driver that attempts to fill in the link address. This operation was
moved out of the drivers and into if_attach() quite some time ago, but some
drivers apparantly weren't updated. I think the symptom is completely benign,
however, so just ignore it.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project