Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:52:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can 3.4-S cope with packets not addressed to it?

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > We want to force the use of our web caches. Our boundary router is a 3Com
> > NetBuilder II, which we can get to forward port 80 traffic to another IP
> > address. However, it does not rewrite the destination IP address in the IP
>
> you mean in the reply ? because otherwise how can it forward the
> traffic to another address!

That's why the machine has to be plugged directly into the router. The
router can of course forward the packet to a directly connected IP
address. On the NBII an incoming firewall filter of the form:

permit next hop <ip-address-of-directly-connected-server> tcp dst=80

achieves this for http traffic. However, due to the router not modifying
the destination address in a packet, the machine will then recieve a
packet which is not actually addressed to it. On the face of it, this
seems useless. However, I wanted to know from someone with a better grip
on the networking of FreeBSD, whether it would be able to make use of this
facility. Specifically to provide enforced web caching.
Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)