Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:47:09 -0500
From:      Will Hires <hires.2@osu.edu>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, grog@lemis.de, grog@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing file "atapi.flp"

At 04:08 PM 11/23/96 -0800, Ben wrote:
....regarding the missing atapi.flp file on the CDROM.....

>It isn't necessary for 2.1.5 and above.  Use the generic boot.flp.

Okay. I'm now using the file, "boot.flp" from the CDROM. I get all the
way to the "Commit" dialog box, which executes to bring up a message
box indicating that installation is progressing. After a while, I see
the CDROM access light go on and a bottom-of-screen message that seems
to indicate that there is an attempt to transfer files from the CDROM
to the hard disk partition. Then, the entire system hangs up. After
about five minutes of nothing occurring, I have the only recourse of
rebooting with the system reset button.   ****I'm stuck!*** Now what?

>> Also, the CD labeled "1" does not contain the files to boot the
>> binaries for the FreeBSD system. After several tries, the system
>> just "hangs" without completing the installation.
>
>This is due to some other factor.  What method are you using to install?
>What is your hardware like?

I'm using the method described in the Greg Lehey book, The Complete
FreeBSD, c.1996, with two CDROMS having version 2.1.5, dated August
1996, Walnut Creek CDROM, "Install from a FreeBSD CDROM". I chose the
"novice" sysinstall; "booteasy" boot manager in the MBR; 32M swap;
410M for /usr; 30M for /var; and 32M for / mount points. I selected
the X-User distribution. All of this carefully following the
instructions in the book.

My system is a Pentium 133 with 16M RAM, 1.2M and 540M Maxtor IDE Hard
Drives. I have Windows95 loaded on the 1.2M Hard drive and it is partitioned
into 800M and 400M partitions. The 540M Hard drive is to be dedicated in
a single partition to FreeBSD. The CDROM is an ATAPI type Quad speed and
there is a 1.44M 3.5-inch floppy disk drive.

>> Can I get new disks and a new book? Thanks.
>
>For that you would want to talk to Walnut Creek.  This is a volunteer
>tech-support mailing list.

Okay, Walnut Creek. Is something wrong with my CDROMs? This should be
a "simple" installation, right? Thanks for anyone's prompt response. I've
already devoted the entire day, Saturday, November 23, 1996, to this yet
incompleted effort. I still want to use FreeBSD!

Will Hires
hires.2@osu.edu