Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:28:20 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "didier@omnix.fr.org" <didier@omniset.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp / tcp problem with October 14th FreeBSD 2.2 SNAPSHOT

Hi,

I'm trying to link two networks with user ppp / isdn line.

I've two networks

network A  192.168.0  (my client)
network B  192.168.2  (my network)

I established a ppp link trough 192.168.3.1 (my side) and 192.168.3.2
(the client side)

On the client side, I'm using "ppp -auto mysite" and "ppp -direct" on
my side and ppp.

when the client wants to establish a connection, ppp works fine.

I'm able to use ping -f on both sides.
It seems that all udp clients works fine.

but when I want to use a tcp connection (for example telnet)

It takes more than one minute to get an answer.

In fact it seems that each time each time an application has to send a lot
of data the tcp connection hangs.

even with the tcp extension disabled.

I can reproduce the problem with tcpblast. it hangs each time.

however ping even with a large packet always works fine.
(7000 packet with 0% packet lost)

I checked with tcpdump -i tun0

without any other connection to the client side. It took more than
one minute for a telnet connection to acces the client side.
without any packet transmited to the tun0 interface.

The client side is running FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE.

Do you have any clue ?

In the mean time, I'm downloading the last release of FreeBSD
with user ppp on a diallup Internet access (without any problem)

Thanks for your help

--
Didier Derny
didier@omniset.com