Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 21:54:26 -0500
From:      "Eric Crist" <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        "'Bruce Hunter'" <bhunter@solisix.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Connecting to a headless system

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Hunter
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 6:01 PM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Connecting to a headless system

I have installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 using the headless install method. My
problem is this. I can't get the login prompt when connecting using cu
-l /dev/cuaa0, after the install /reboot. I did setup ssh, but I can't
connect using ssh and root. I did not setup another account, so I have
to get in and install an account. I did get single user up, but I have
limited commands and it won't allow me to adduser.??  When I boot up
under default, it just holds at the date and time. Please help? Or any
ideas of what I should be doing differently.

Bruce

Bruce,

You need to mount all the correct file systems before you can add users
to the system.  By default, only the root / partition is mounted, and
that is read-only.  Once you mount the other filesystems, you should
have no problems.  Also, I usually have -Dh in my /boot.config file, and
enable cuaa0 as a secure terminal (disabled by default).  You can change
this in /etc/ttys.

HTH

Eric F Crist