Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 23:42:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      jlrobins@zappa.cs.uncc.edu
To:        TKH@altagas.altagas.ca (Tim K. Hodgson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows 95 Compatability

>      Question 1 - Am I correct in assuming that the FreeBSD installation
>      will provide a boot-manager that will allow me to select the operating
>      system to be run?

Yes -- It is called 'booteasy'.

>      Question 2 - Can I install FreeBSD on a Windows 95 PC?

If you mean a PC that has W95 on it, then yes. You just have to have some
free (unpartioned) disk space -- BSD needs to live in its own area on the
hard drive.

I have machines that will boot into either W95, WNT, or FreeBSD.

Odds are that your entire hard drive is partitioned for DOS / W95. You'll
have to defrag, bubble all your files to the low end of the disk, then
run something like FIPS to repartion your drive, giving Microsoft not
the entire disk.

James

James Robinson                             Phone: (704) 547-4876
Department of Computer Science             FAX:   (704) 547-3516
UNC Charlotte                              email: jlrobins@uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001                   System Administrator