Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:48:52 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        "Andrew E. Stevens" <root@ppp0002.log.on.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dial-up PPP

 From: Andrew E. Stevens <root@ppp0002.log.on.ca>
> Whenever I dial in to my FreeBSD machine and start PPP, everything appears
> to work normally.  It accepts my login, gives me my IP address and says
I'm
> connected; but from that point onward, every time I attempt to contact the
server,
> there is a three-minute delay between initiating contact and receiving a
reply.
> For example, in Netscape I'll type 205.207.183.35 (The IP address I
negotiated).
> The status bar immediately says "Host Contacted, Waiting for reply", and
then
> the three minute lag kicks in.  After three minutes, index.html quickly
loads, and
> then the lag kicks in again as Netscape requests each .gif image from my
server.
> For Telnet and FTP it's the same deal, although the lag only occurs once
when
> initial contact is made; from then on in I can transfer as much data as I
want without
> any delay whatsoever.

Sounds like a DNS problem.  If these two boxes are the only two on the
network, you can edit /etc/host.conf to tell the resolver to check
/etc/hosts first, then DNS.  Then, make the appropriate entries in the hosts
file.  Same thing on the other end.

Or, if you're interest is learning about TCP/IP networking and the Internet,
go ahead and get BIND set up.  All the info you need is in the man page (man
named).

Good luck,

Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services
http://www.i-Plus.net