Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:08:31 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Bulk] Re: loader on Dell INSPIRON 1501: BTX halted

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:51:51 +0300
> Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Take patch from
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/realbtx
>> (rev. 2). The new loader is at the same location, but it seems that I
>> did not saved new boot2. You need to install both boot block and
>> loader obtained from the build with the realbtx patch applied, to you
>> USB HDD drive.
>>

> Just for fun, I tested this patch on an Acer Aspire 5672AWLMi laptop.
> (See this page[1] for my adventures with this laptop.)
> This laptop doesn't say "BTX halted", it just scrolls a lot of text
> (register dumps?) across the screen forever.
>
>  I did:
> cd /usr/src/sys
> patch < ../.../realbtx.2.patch
> cd boot/i386
> make
>
> Then I copied the files to the usb hdd (da0) with
> boot0cfg -B -b /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0 da0
> mount /dev/da0s1a /mnt
> cp -v /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader /mnt/boot
>
> Is this the correct way to do it?
>
> Then I unmounted the disk and tried to boot it.
> Unfortunately, nothing changed. When booted (from usb hdd) the laptop
> still scrolls text across the screen forever. I have to turn it off
> with the power button.
>
> Should this patch work on my laptop?
>
> 1) http://tingox.googlepages.com/aceraspireas5672andfreebsd

The realbtx.2.patch does not fix the hang during boot of my HP Pavillion
dv9420us.  The boot stops just like before, right after the Copyright
message and text=?????? it freezes and only a power cycle will bring it
to life.  Currently, I work around the boot hang by pressing <spacebar>
starting just before the BIOS splash disappears; and then press <enter>
at the boot slice prompt.

jmc