Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 12:29:21 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Undocumented kernel options

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:

> In the LINT config file, there are a boatload of "undocumented options for
> LINT".  Is there an explanation of them anywhere?  I looked in the
> handbook and couldn't find them.  For example, what is "NMBCLUSTERS" used
> for?  It was mentioned in a recent post, but I could find no clue what is
> does or if it really needs to be cranked up as the poster suggested.

In general, there's always the ultimate in documentation - the source
code. Specifically for NMBCLUSTERS, this is the limit on the number of
mbuf clusters that the kernel will be able to allocate. You can see the
number of currently used mbuf clusters and the peak since the last reboot
in the output of netstat -m. By default, this value is calculated from
maxusers. However, busy machines that do a lot of networking (very busy
www or NFS servers) need higher values. For a full description of what
mbuf clusters are and how they're used, you'll have to refer to a book on
BSD internals (such as "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD
Operating System).

Nadav