Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:44:15 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Update on ACPI with FreeBSD CURRENT on ThinkPad T30

I have not reported how ACPI is going on my systems for some time and
there has been major improvement. I now run ACPI almost all the time.

Things that work:
- Battery status now seems to work well. Works with APM interface as well
  as the Gnome Battery Status tool and the gkrellm plug-in.

- CPU throttling works

- CPU deep sleep works

- Interrupt routing works

- Thermal reporting works (emergency shutdown not tested)

- Video extension reports correctly the current video status

Things that don't work:
- Suspend still does not turn off the LCD backlight.
  Note: DPMS allows the screen to be blanked, but this does not turn off
        the backlight, either. While Windows and BIOS (APM)can work this
        miracle, I have been unable to get the light to turn off except
	by using the lid switch and suspending turns it back on!
        sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=0 returns:
        hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1 -> 1

- USB does not recover on resume (well known problem)

- Sound runs too fast. After resume the sound runs at the default
  clock-rate (about 53K) and can't be reset to 48K even by manually
  issuing a sysctl to do so.

On the whole, while far from ideal, it's fairly functional. Two of the
three remaining issues are probably not really ACPI issues, but problems
with the drivers involved.

Thanks to Nate Lawson and the folks at Intel and everywhere who have put
so much into this.

Any comment or suggestion on the backlight issue will be happily tried
as long as they don't involve illegal or anatomically impossible acts.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)