Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 15:57:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-all@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-ports@freefall.freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/apache/patches patch-ag patch-ac

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, [KOI8-R] Андрей Чернов wrote:

> It seems that you try to become even more restrictive than Apache group,
> but I not see any reason to count your opinion.

My point is that the FreeBSD ports collection represents changes
need to make a given application run on FreeBSD. These Apache
patches have nothing to do with FreeBSD and consequently I think
they would be more appropriate for distribution in an Apache
forum where Apache users could, if they choose, take advantage of
your patches regardless of platform.

The more a port differs from a standard distribution, the more
trouble it is to maintain, and it is a hassle for users who want
to apply third-party tweaks.

However, if you must put the patches in the ports collection,
please document them in an obvious place (like the Makefile) so
that users need not decrypt the patch files to become aware of
the difference between "FreeBSD Apache" and regular Apache.

But then again, if a differing opinion is not worth counting, you
can just ignore mine.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================