Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:08:23 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ImageMagick port: source file not available

Kevin Oberman wrote:

 > I completely agree, but Cristy has always taken the line of "fix it
NOW" for minor bits and pieces. He's always been open to tweaking
 > operations at a user's request on the fly which really makes me
 > nervous. (Although it really helped me whan I needed a minor extension
 > to the labeling capability.)
 >
 > The real problem is that ImageMagick has so many divergent
 > parts...IamgeMagick, PerlMagick, Magick++, JMagick, and probably one
 > or tow that I've never really played with. I think he should either
 > split it up with a common library or go to a stable/development scheme
 > similar to most larger packages as well as FreeBSD (stable/current).
 >
 > But the package belongs to Cristy and he makes the final call on this
 > stuff. I've been using it for at least 7 years and seldom had problems
 > with it. It just makes it really, really hard to keep a port
 > up-to-date, especially soon after a new release.

Sort of sounds like some of the development ports. Code Crusader comes
to mind.

I was watching mi who maintains the FreeBSD port and he can never have
a good port because the tarball is always out of date.

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

 > > NOW" for minor bits and pieces. He's always been open to
 > tweaking operations at a user's request on the fly which really
 > makes me nervous. (Although it really helped me whan I needed a
 > minor extension to the labeling capability.)
 >
 > The real problem is that ImageMagick has so many divergent
parts...IamgeMagick,
 >  PerlMagick, Magick++, JMagick, and probably one or tow that I've
 >  never really played with. I think he should either split it up
 > with a common library or go to a stable/development scheme similar
 >  to most larger packages as well as FreeBSD (stable/current).
 >
 > But the package belongs to Cristy and he makes the final call on
 > this stuff. I've been using it for at least 7 years and seldom
 > had problems with it. It just makes it really, really hard to
 > keep a port up-to-date, especially soon after a new release.

Sort of sounds like some of the development ports. Code Crusader comes
to mind. It was a mega-port in 2 tarballs.

I was watching mi who maintains the FreeBSD port and he can never have
a good port because the tarball specified in the Makefile is always
out of date. Instead of blaming Mikhail, we should be blaming Christy
for churning his sources. That isn't going to stop so anyone using
ImageMagic should learn how to update the PORTVERSION in the Makefile.
Then, the Makefile will work with Christy's latest source. Simply
updating the Makefile and the MD5 in the distinfo has worked on the
last 4 releases by Christy.

Kent