Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 00:29:41 -0600
From:      John <john@starfire.mn.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   requesting guidance for updating the RocketPort driver

*** Please reply directly, since I am not currently subscribed to this list ***

It seems to be a given that Comtrol is not in a position to support
and develop the driver for the RocketPort cards.  I happen to be
the owner of a couple of these, and I'm having problems with
newer versions of FreeBSD.

For one, I get
Feb  8 23:35:27 dexter /kernel: rp0: driver is using old-style compatibility shims
Feb  8 23:35:37 dexter /kernel: WARNING: driver rp should register devices with ma
ke_dev() (dev_t = "#rp/0x10007")

That'd be fine and well, if the silly thing WORKED, which it doesn't,
quite.  tcsetattr returns "Invalid argument" when perfectly reasonable
things are going on, preventing me from running PPP on these, or
indeed making other reasonable changes to the terminal line driver
characteristics.

I just grabbed the latest version from -stable, and it diffs against
what I'm using with no changes.  The version I have with FreeBSD
2.1 doesn't have the problem with setting line characteristics,
but it differs in many details from the driver in -stable.  I was
actually working with a developer at Comtrol in 1997 (they are/were
local), and I have several versions of the driver from February
24, March 11, April 10, and May 22 which may be in a more advanced
state than the driver in the distribution.  At any rate, I've run
PPP on that version of the driver for a almost 5 years, and it has
done that quite well.

I'd be very happy to work on this and get a superior driver into
the distribution, but I could use just a bit of hand-holding,
particularly with regard to that "old style driver shims" thing.

I suspect, jumping from a 1997 FreeBSD (2.1) to a 2002 FreeBSD, there
may be a few bumps in the road.

Can someone point me in the right direction, or provide a little
hand-holding?

Thanks!

*** Please reply directly, since I am not currently subscribed to this list ***
--

John Lind
john@starfire.MN.ORG