Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:23:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@cncn.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <webmaster@zwb.net>
Cc:        fbsdqs <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFW

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> You need to specify a rule number, like:
>
> ipfw add 1000 deny tcp from localhost to panix.com
>
> At 04:09 PM 4/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hello.
> >
> >	Just for practice I am configuring a fire wall on my computer. I
> >don't need one, but I want to get the experience under my belt. I have a
> >shell script I wish to execute to set up the rules to my firewall.
> >it reads:

[snip]

> > I have shell access on panix.com and can therefore attempt to test my
> >firewall from their machinces. ipfw ignores the first two commands, so my
> >firewall ends up looking like this:
> >
> >00000 allow ip from any to any
> >65534 deny ip from any to any

My ipfwcommands script now reads:

#!/bin/sh

ipfw add 10000 deny tcp from localhost to panix.com
ipfw add 10010 deny tcp from panix.com to localhost
ipfw add allow ip from any to any

and it still does not add the first two rules.

	-Spike Gronim
	 spork@cncn.com

		"Hacker, n: One who hacks real good"
			--Computer Contradictionary