Date:      Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:23:42 +1000
From:      Paul Koch <paul.koch@statseeker.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Subject:   Re: Dell DRAC card snatches keyboard console

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 02:32 am, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just installed a Dell 2850 with a DRAC card and a PS/2 keyboard.
> The keyboard stopped working when entering multiuser mode, and I
> found an old email on current from September 2004, where Brooks said
> to comment away ukbd lines in devd.conf. I did, PS/2 keyboard works
> but the DRAC remote console does not. Is there a way to have both
> keyboards working?
>
> <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-September/03
>8879.html>
>
> Regards,
> Palle

We also came across this problem some time ago on 5.4.  We could install
ok, go into single user mode, but in multiuser mode the DRAC would
become the console.  We didn't fiddle devd.conf, but instead put an
entry in rc.conf of keyboard="/dev/kbd0".  This allowed PS/2 keyboards
to work, and if we plugged a usb keyboard in, it would also work.  We
didn't get to play with the DRAC though.  I don't have access to these
machines anymore because they are now installed at a customer site.

I'd be interested in knowing how to get both a locally attached keyboard
and the DRAC going at the same time.  I recall the DRAC being a special
card which contains an ethernet port and virtual keyboard/mouse/video.
It is accessed remotely via IP and replaces the need to KVM
switches/cabling. The card contains its own tiny OS and IP stack.

	Paul.