Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2014 05:15:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: terminfo

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Ian Lepore wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 13:05 +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:
>> Hi Bryan,
>>
>> On 19 February 2014 13:17, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> Why do we not use terminfo? Our termcap is quite aged and missing a lot
>>> of modern terminals/clients.

Why do we not use Windows? :-)

>> It is true that our termcap is quite aged, but the fact is, once you
>> add entries for a certain terminal, there's little need to update it
>> after that. ncurses itself is not really a moving target. What kind of
>> modern terminals/clients are missing?

I tend to agree.  I used to have several special termcap entries in
.profile or .termcap because the system termcap was unreliable.  Now
after using mainly syscons for 20+ years, I have only 1 special termcap
entry (a prefix to cons25) in .profile (to partly recover from breakage
of some syscons escape sequences).

>> I won't deny that termcap was really useful at one point in time, but
>> let's be honest: the variety of terminals out there has massively
>> dropped over time. Terminal emulation has become a solved problem. As
>> of FreeBSD 9, syscons supports all the sequences described in
>> xterm-256color, though it isn't able to print more than 8 colours,
>> which is why we use TERM=xterm. Tools like screen, tmux, etc., they
>>
>> I suspect the following logic would be sufficient for at least 99.5%
>> of our users:
>>
>> if $TERM contains 256
>>   use xterm-256color
>> else
>>   use xterm
>> $TERM should die.
>
> All of that seems to assume that every terminal actually being used in
> the world today is either xterm or something that emulates it.  Try
> using vi on a serial console on an embedded ARM board and you'll get a
> quick frustrating lesson in how not-xterm a serial console is.  I've yet
> to find a combo of serial comms program and TERM setting that actually
> works well and lets you edit a file with vi.

What display device is the ARM board connected to that causes a problem?

I use an intentionally simple terminal program that does no translation,
and haven't noticed many problems.  Even tip/cu should work similarly.
TERM/TERMCAP/.termcap are just the host's values for non-serial terminal
activity.  These must be copied to all targets.  This only works for
hosts and targets that are Unix-like OSes which support
TERM/TERMCAP/.termcap of course.  The display hardware and the software
that controls it is on the PC so its escape sequences can be anything
I want.

Bruce