Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:24:04 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        steve-lists@reentrant.co.uk
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Binary upgrade available

On 26 Jun 2002, at 15:06, steve-lists@reentrant.co.uk boldly uttered:

> * Philip J. Koenig <pjklist@ekahuna.com> [06m26d02y 13:32]:
> > According to the steps outlined earlier to ascertain whether privsep
> > is working, in my case it seems not to be. (I am of the impression
> > that the path shown at the end should now show "/usr/empty"):
> >

> > #lsof -p <sshd pid> |grep rtd
> > sshd	109	root	rtd	VDIR	13,196608	1024	2 /
>
> This took me a while to figure out, but my understanding is this:
>
> The parent sshd process, still runs as root.
> During login (i.e. when there is a password prompt being displayed),
> sshd runs a less-privileged process, which is marked with [net] in the
> output of ps. This handles the connection process and, at least for my
> install of /usr/ports/security/openssh, runs as nobody in
> /usr/local/empty. For example:
>
> nobody  1068  6.1  3.7  3524 2092  ??  S     2:52PM   0:01.65 sshd: steve [net] (sshd)
>
> The output of lsof -p 1068 | grep rtd is then :
>
> sshd    1068 nobody  rtd   VDIR 116,131078      512  45177 /usr/local/empty
>
> which I think is what you were expecting before.
>
> After authentication, there are two process per session: a privileged
> process, marked with [priv] which is run as root; and another process
> which runs as the user which is logging in. The latter looks like
> "sshd: user@tty (sshd)".
>
> The above is just my understanding of it, but I hope that helps,
>
> Steve.

I checked with lsof while an ssh session was in progress, and it
still shows that all ssh-related processes are rooted at "/".

There also are no processes owned by "sshd", only by root (marked
with 'priv' as you mention, although clearly that doesn't have any
security benefit per se) or the user logged in via ssh.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium