Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 11:40:44 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question About CVS Activity

In article <199809071524.IAA14693@cwsys.cwsent.com>,
Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group  <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca> wrote:
> I noticed the following this morning CVS activity during CVSup this
> morning.  My initial thoughts are that this would affect anyone wishing
> to check out code based on the -stable branch.  The activity that raises
> a red flag to me is as follows.  It was accompanied by a number of
> similar deletions from the CVS tree for the Alpha platform.
>
>  Edit src/sys/isa/kbdio.c,v
>   Delete tag RELENG_2_2 -> 1.1.0.2
>   Delete tag RELENG_2_2_0_RELEASE -> 1.1.2.6
>   Delete tag RELENG_2_2_1_RELEASE -> 1.1.2.6
>   Delete tag pre_smp_merge -> 1.10
>   Delete tag post_smp_merge -> 1.10
>   Delete tag RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE -> 1.1.2.6
>   Delete tag BP_WOLLMAN_MBUF -> 1.10
>   Delete tag WOLLMAN_MBUF -> 1.10.0.2
>   Delete tag RELENG_2_2_5_RELEASE -> 1.1.2.6
>   Delete tag PRE_SOFTUPDATE -> 1.12
>   Delete tag POST_SOFTUPDATE -> 1.12
>   Delete tag RELENG_2_2_6_RELEASE -> 1.1.2.6
>   Delete tag PRE_DEVFS_SLICE -> 1.12
>   Delete tag POST_DEVFS_SLICE -> 1.12
>   Delete tag PRE_NOBDEV -> 1.12
>   Delete tag RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE -> 1.1.2.6
>   Delete delta 1.1.2.6
>   Delete delta 1.1.2.5
>   Delete delta 1.1.2.4
>   Delete delta 1.1.2.3
>   Delete delta 1.1.2.2
>   Delete delta 1.1.2.1

I don't blame you for being alarmed, but in this case it's nothing
to worry about.  I caused it, with my Repository Manager hat on.

A month or so ago, a committer who will remain unnamed did an
unauthorized repository copy of these files.  That's a non-trivial
operation, and he did it wrong.  (That's why committers are not
allowed to do repository copies themselves.)  It caused these files
to suddenly appear as if they existed in -stable as well as many past
releases.

With all the ELF-related work going on, I didn't get around to
repairing it until last weekend.  The repairs caused the worrisome log
messages.

John