Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:34:41 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing on ATI video card laptop

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 05:37 pm, Chris BeHanna wrote:
| On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Andrea Monaldi wrote:
| > Hi All,
| >
| > I am trying to install 4.6 release on a Compaq laptop
| > with an ATI Rage Mobility video card.
| >
| > It seems there's no driver at all for the ATI familiy.
| > Is it true?
|
|     No, it's not true.  Works great for me on an HP OmniBook 4150B.
| I'm using XFree86 4.2, FYI.

And on my Dell as well.

But it *is* true that X -configure doesn't work.

I recommend checking the "Linux for Laptops" page and finding somebody with
the same machine and getting an XF86Config from there.

I send you mine if you want, but it's only right if you have a 1400x1050
display.  And I have an ATI RAGE Mobility 128, too, which uses a different
driver (mg?) from the usual one (ati?).  I'm being lazy and going on memory
here.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org