Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 02:29:09 -0600
From:      Albert Chin <freebsd-stable@thewrittenword.com>
To:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, bryanh@meridian-enviro.com
Subject:   Re: 3Ware, Western Digital disks, and stray interrupts

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 07:48:54PM -0600, Douglas K. Rand wrote:
> We have two pretty much identical systems: Both are Tyan Tiger MP
> S2469 boards with a 3ware 7450 controller and Western Digital WD1000
> 100GB disks. One system has 4 disks in a RAID 10 configuration, and
> the other has 2 disks in a RAID 1 configuration. One system only has a
> single Athlon MP CPU, while the other has 2 Athlon MP CPUs.
>
> We have gone through 5 of the WD1000 disks so far, with a 6th that
> just failed the other day. The first 3 failures we tested with Western
> Digital's drive fitness test, which reported all thee drives to be
> OK. The first disk that failed we tried to put back in and have the
> 3ware controller rebuild, but the rebuild failed after 2 hours. We've
> stopped testing the disks, and just send them back to Western
> Digital.

We're running a 6410 with four WD1000 disks and have had only one
failure so far. Anyway, according to the author of the twe driver,
Michael Smith, a firmware upgrade for the 7xxx series controllers
should be available by now. Read:
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=576845+578877+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-stable/20020310.freebsd-stable

Dunno if it'll help but it might be worth a shot.

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)