Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:45:50 -0900
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Daniel Leal <dleal@webvolution.net>
Subject:   Re: xorg and nvidia

On Monday 09 February 2009 02:51:04 Daniel Leal wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I am trying to convince my girlfriend to use freebsd as a desktop in her
> (not so) old toshiba S2450-201 laptop. I use it in my toshiba A200
> laptop and it works fine.
> I just install it in her laptop with a 30GB disk I have... Installation
> was fine. This laptop as a "nvidia geforce4 420 go" graphics board with
> 32MB.
> The setup of xorg.conf was made through "Xorg -configure". I tested with
> startx and it worked. Then I installed the nvidia driver. I had to try
> all 3 driver versions and the only one that worked was
> "nvidia-driver-71xx". Then reboot and then I run "nvidia-xconfig". And
> startx... great, it worked! The nvidia logo appeared in the screen
> during xorg startup. Fine! Then I installed nvidia-settings. But when I
> try to run it it complains that it appear that I not using the NVIDIA X
> driver. But I am!!
> It also said that NV-CONTROL extension version 1.6 is too old and the
> minimum required version is 1.11.
> In my xorg.conf I have 1024x768 resolution, but xorg is with 800x600.
> I also dont have the VSR and HSR for this laptop. I just cant find it
> anywhere...
>
> Can someone help me with this please?
>
> Here is my xorg.conf:
>
> # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
> # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (root@Dinamite)  Sat Feb  7 22:24:54 WET
> 2009
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "X.org Configured"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
>     RgbPath         "/usr/local/share/X11/rgb"
>     ModulePath      "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
>     FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
>     FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
>     FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
>     FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
>     FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
>     FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>     Load           "dbe"
>     Load           "extmod"
>     Load           "glx"
>     Load           "record"
>     Load           "xtrap"
>     Load           "freetype"
>     Load           "type1"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>     Driver         "kbd"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Mouse0"
>     Driver         "mouse"
>     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
>     Option         "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> [...]

nvidia-xconfig couldn't read the monitor. If Xorg -configure + nv driver,
generated a 1024x768 screen, then steal those values and put them here.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log should show why it doesn't accept that mode and also list
some possible modes. Whether these modes are actually correct is undefined.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.