Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:18:20 -0500
From:      "Michael D. Norwick" <mnorwick@centurytel.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   portupgrade -a stops at building gnome-menus

FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE

#>uname -a
FreeBSD ****@****.net 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1 RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE
#0: Thu Aug 12 08:43:46 CDT 2010
****@****.net:/usr/obj/src/sys/GENERIC i386

Running on VirtualBox Version 3.2.8 r64453 running on current Debian
'lenny',  Pentium 4 2.4 GHz. 4G ram.
portsnap update on 09/08/2010.

Trying to do 'portupgrade -a',  initially had a portupgrade stop at
'/usr/ports/graphviz'  an error about 'dot' and doxygen.  Built doxygen
and graphiz from the individual /usr/ports/*** directories after
'portsclean -DLP' and individual 'make clean' in the respective
/usr/ports directories.  Had the "/usr/local/include/python2.6/pth.h
link to /usr/local/include/pth/pth.h" issue.  Fixed that and portupgrade
borked at building gnome-menus.  '/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpth'.  Did
ln -s /usr/local/lib/pth/libpth.a /usr/local/lib/ and ln -s
/usr/local/include/pth/pth.h /usr/local/include/python2.6/ - again.  Ran
make install clean from /usr/ports/x11/gnome-menus after executing make
clean.  Still no joy.
Yeah, I'm a 15 year linux guy, but, I've installed and used FreeBSD
around the 5.0-RELEASE days so I don't think I'm totally clueless.  I'm
running it as a virtual machine because I would like to install it on a
new machine once I get past the test drive and checkout.
Tried to build a new kernel a week or two ago and that went awry.
Deleted the VM and reinstalled from the RELEASE dvd.iso.
What am I doing wrong?

Michael D. Norwick

PS: I've R.T.F.M'd and Googled.  Filed a bug report on the graphviz
issue but now I don't think it was a problem with the graphviz build.