Date:      Tue, 19 May 2009 19:27:44 +0400
From:      Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Out of swap in a nanobsd build

On Tue, 19 May 2009 09:54:20 -0500
Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com> mentioned:

> Folks,
>
> I have a nanobsd build for the Gateworks aviala board
> that ran out of swap last night.
>
>     avila# May 13 03:01:13 avila-master kernel: pid 2642 (sort), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
>
> That suggests /etc/periodic/daily/470.status-named was the source.
>
> As per the "avila" nano-config file, there is no swap.
> I only possibly have compact flash space available.
> So my real question is, should I try to configure some,
> or should we be able to re-formulate the 470.staus-named
> such that it doesn't need to swap?

The "out of swap" message means that there were unsufficien memory while
running some of these processes. So the only solutions to this problem are
either install additional memory, optimize the memory usage or configure
some swap space storage (e.g. USB attached hard drive).

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE

!DSPAM:4a12cff1994299690386551!