Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 1996 09:56:19 -0600
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
To:        "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Front Page extensions availability?!?!

Jay L. West wrote:

> We're an ISP running both apache and stronghold web servers on
> FreeBSD 2.1.5 RELEASE. One of our customers wants to put up
> a web page which requires FrontPage extensions. What do I need
> on my system to allow this? Is the software available for FBSD? Do
> I *HAVE* to put up a microsoft <ug> webserver to accomodate this?
>
> Any tips would be *MOST* appreciated!
>
> J. West (jlwest@tseinc.com)

We are running FP extensions on our internal FreeBSD Apache server in
order to accommodate the vi-challenged.

FreeBSD 2.1.5-R or later is needed to run the MS setup and cgi
binaries.  It puts a few lines of gunk in the srm.conf file.  Setup is a
little nicer if you have X11 clients usable on your HTTP server and
Win32 X11 server software running on the Microsquish boxes.  I changed
uid/gid of the http server daemon from nobody/nogroup to www/www and did
chown -R www:www on anything the server needed.  Seems to work - I never
touch it, having enough keyboard machismo to deal with scary old vi.