Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:03:53 -0600
From:      "Mark Tempel" <mtempel@visi.com>
To:        <kdulzo@gerp.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cross compilation problems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@mobile.gerp.org>
To: <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 9:25 PM
Subject: Cross compilation problems

> After my windy intro, my cross compilation still bombs out in the libio
> portion.  It really seems to have built the compiler but is dying
> someplace later on (not a gcc internals guru).  One of the things
> that bugs me is the C preprocessor line using /lib/cpp -- that seems
> odd.  Any suggestions?  Anyone successfully build these tools yet?
>
> -Kevin
>
> Here is the failure output:
>
> make all-recursive
> Making all in intl
> Making all in lib
> Making all in makeinfo
> (cd intl && make all)
> Configuring in sparc-netbsd/libiberty
> checking host system type... sparc-unknown-netbsd
> checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsdelf

Are you building a cross compiler from freebsd-i386 to ntebsd-sparc?  If
so, I think Lydon said that he had some success there.

I don't know if that is exactly the compiler that we need.  My impression,
is that we really need a freebsd-sparc compiler.  I have been using the
NetBSD sparc gcc for my playing around, but we will need a FreeBSD
version soon.  The problem I see is that the NetBSD compiler will build a.out
binaries, however FreeBSD needs elf binary files.

Oh, While I'm posting to the group, I have a question:

The big unknown for me though is what is going to happen with the merger
between Walnut Creek CDROM and BSDi.  Will there be an effort (other
than this one) to merge BSDi sparc with FreeBSD?

Untill I find out, I have stopped working on kernel level stuff ( I was working
on
porting the loader) and started working on the userland part of the port.
I am trying to modify the FreeBSD make files to build the userland (make
buildworld)
in a source tree NFS mounted to my sparc... Obviously this won't _just_ work...
I know that we will need to hack some kind of libc together that will allow
FreeBSD
userland programs to use the NetBSD kernel...

I'll fill you in on the details as I figure them out.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
 Mark Tempel
mtempel@visi.com