Date:      Tue, 04 May 2004 16:18:37 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which php ?

Peter Risdon wrote:

> Darryl Hoar wrote:
>
>> I have 5.1-release installed.  I wish to install php4 and want it to
>> work with apache, mysql and openldap.  Which one of the php ports
>> do I use ?
>>

> Easiest thing to do is install www/mod_php4 and select the options
> you want (mysql - which is a default - and ldap)under the curses based
> config screen that will pop up.
>
> Having said that, in a minority of cases people want to run php as a
> cgi under suexec. In that case, you need to use /lang/php4 and use
> the right config arguments.
>
> PWR.

Pretty much correct.  /lang/php4 simply builds both the Apache
module and the CLI and CGI executables, and installs the lot;
therefore it also uses the ncurses config screen.

I think that if you desire to 'keep up' with PHP development by
means of portupgrade(1), then you'll want to place the "right
config arguments" in /etc/make.conf.  See make.conf(5) for the
real scoop on that one ....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.