Date:      Fri, 21 May 2010 15:33:45 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: how do i use a memory stick on freebsd?

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:03:42PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> guys,
>
> my wife emptied a bunch of files onto her memory stick;  the pc
> is not here.  i have never used one of these devices before and
> want to know how, if it is possible, to read her dos/lose
> material from my bsd system.  7.3, dell, plenty of disk, and yes,
> i know where the usb slot it!
>
> do i need to put something in /usr/rc.conf? build a driver or
> utility?  or what?
>
> tia, Y'all!
>
> clueless in king county.

I have the following line in my /etc/fstab and it works just fine.

/dev/da1s1              /stick          msdosfs rw,noauto

You have to mount after and umount before plugging the stick in
or pulling it out.   At least that version of FreeBSD does not
automount/umount.

I don't know about a driver.  I didn't have to do anything
extra for a driver.   That machine currently has FreeBSD 7.1
on a Dell desktop of some sort (I don't even remember), probably
an Optiplex.

Of course, the above assumes you have a FATnnn (FAT32) MessyDOS
filesystem on it.    I think you can put a UFS on it, but then
MS won't know how to read/write it.

////jerry