Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 18:30:01 +0200
From:      "Daniel Blankensteiner" <db@traceroute.dk>
To:        <Matt.Smith@uconn.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Base system vs. Ports

----- Original Message -----
From: <Matt.Smith@uconn.edu>
>   I would rather see the base system be very lean, and these components be
> installed simply from ports/packages.

Well, FreeBSD is a server system so it is natural to have deamons like ftpd
and sshd, in the
base system. But like you I wish for a very small og secure base system,
also meaning that
NO services are started by default.
Grafical programs and other unnecessari programs, should not be in the base
system.
AFAIK the freebsd team is working on making the system more logical
structured and
pulling the base og port system apart, so maybe this will result in a
smaller base system?

br
db