Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:22:31 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Advise Please

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> I only need a little advise on source synchronization.
>
> Could someone kindly tell me what might have happened if you cvsup today
> and your buildworld breaks, but you cvsup 2morrow and it goes OK? Is it
> because we're all humans and are prone to err?

One thing that no one has pointed out. Your comment on syncronization
says it all. We typically use server mirror's and not the main site.
You can always time it such that a you grab the source in the middle
of an update sequence and you need the whole thing to work. I was
always told to re-cvsup in an hour and see if the problem is still
there. If it is, look at the cvs-all messages. In my case, I use a
script that generats HTML from my cvsup.log and it points back to
cvsweb.cgi. You usually have an idea who broke -stable :). I still
don't spend time doing that until the second cvsup, up to an hour
later than the first, also fails.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart