Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:53:32 -0800
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        Tilman Linneweh <tilman@arved.de>, Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING: portupgrade considered harmful

--==========3287483427==========

--On Friday, February 28, 2003 20:57:47 +0100 Tilman Linneweh=20
<tilman@arved.de> wrote:

> This is IMHO not a fault of portupgrade but how bsd.port.mk detects
> LIB_DEPENDS. It checks if the library is in ld's path. This works as long
> as this path does not contain directories with libraries not installed by
> ports.

If you use portupgrade to do recursive upgrades, that shouldn't matter.
It should determine what is to be upgraded based on the dependancy list
in the portsdb rather than relying on the recursion in the Makefiles.
If you update a library, it should update everything that links to that
library.  This will fail if the dependancy list isn't complete or accurate.
(Which usually indicates a failure of some port to indicate some library
that it needs.)

As to the compat/pkg issue; I've seen problems that seem to be related
to having other dirs come after /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg in the search
order.  Run 'ldconfig -r | head' and examine the search list.  If the
compat/pkg dir isn't the last entry, you should re-set the list.  (And
let me know if you find a way to do that that's easier and cleaner than
using cut-and-paste to build an ldconfig command-line with all of the
directories you want...)

There's also something that causes both /usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib/
to be placed in the list; which makes 'portsclean --libclean' complain =
about
files shadowing themselves...

-Pat