Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 13:06:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Follow-up to FreeBSD documentat

> > Will... you still run a www server on freefall then, to support
> > the cgi ? Or move the cgis over to spatter as well and simply
> > have them access nfs-mounted data (cvs/mail archives) from
> > freefall ?
>
> I think this is still open to discussion. :-)

I have no preferences where the CGIs live, but using the databases
over NFS doesn't sound like a good idea.

IMO, CVS and GNATs have a natural home on Freefall and the CGIs don't
cause too much load. Mailing lists can live everywhere, the WWW search
engine should live on the same machine as the WWW pages, to be able to
emit relative links (otherwise mirros will have to adjust).

What's the purpose of spatter, BTW? I probably missed something. I
assume it's just to take some load from freefall? If so, want's the
most important thing to avoid on Freefall (Disk I/O, Network, CPU,
possible security problems with CGIs)?

Disclaimer: I didn't came around to study the whole setup, maybe I'm
talking nosense.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>