Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 20:26:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, stable@freebsd.org

> Yes, I have trouble with the attitude because it indicates that there
> is no dedication to the idea that we will ALWAYS try to have a
> quality product. It seems that the desire is to replace something
> before anyone has demonstrated that there is a better candidate.

Uh..  And I think that Richard has also handily missed the real
message here.  This is not an "attitude" problem, as you seem to love
to characterize it, this is an apathy problem.  Warner volunteered to
play reviewer/committer for -stable months ago, I remember his
announcement, and his offer drew a big goose egg zero in response.

Look, I have a hard time understanding how you could be so obtuse
about this: These are volunteer developers, they will work on the
kinds of things that they like to work on, and for many that's not the
-stable branch.  Some of us developers, myself included, took it upon
ourselves to maintain the -stable branch for a very long time (and I'm
*still* not done supporting it - a 2.1.7.1 release currently awaiting
a merge of Justin's SCSI changes, once David tests them) in response
to what we felt to be a customer need.  At some point, however,
everyone needs to move on and begin looking again to more interesting
and rewarding pursuits (in my case, the 2.2 branch.  In others', 3.0)
lest all enjoyment go out of things.  Working on an old code base just
isn't a lot of fun, you understand?

More disturbing, however, are the implications of Warner's failed
attempt to run interferance for changes in a post-2.1.7 world.  I
think in a project like this one, it's more than fair to say that at
some point the "dead branches" need to have user support in order to
survive or see key developers more and more involved in supporting
past development rather than future improvements (this has happened to
commercial efforts, and it has always killed them).  When Warner
called to FreeBSD's -stable user base for proposed changes to keep the
2.1.x branch alive, however, who showed up?

Since you seem to feel so passionately about this, why not do
something actually useful about it (hint: this kvetching is not
useful, it merely fills my inbox with more bytes) and start pulling
bug fixes out of 2.2/3.0 and sending them to Warner?  Do it loudly and
publically in -stable, enjoining others to assist you in your crusade
to bring fresh life to 2.1.x.  Start a movement.  Plant a tree.  Buy
municipal bonds.  Just do something more constructive, please, if it's
actual results in -stable that you're looking for!

Thanks!

					Jordan