Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2013 22:43:12 -0700
From:      Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
To:        Douglas Beattie <beattidp@ieee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS root on BeagleBone Black

On 2013-07-07, at 10:06 PM, Douglas Beattie <beattidp@ieee.org> wrote:

> Working with the BeagleBone Black, I'm hoping to achieve boot to NFS =
root.
> Thinking I'm fairly far along, I'm stuck with an 'error 19' at the =
final steps of
> booting the kernel. Here's a little background -- any hints would be =
appreciated.
>=20
> On FreeBSD 9.1, I have a TFTP server, plus an NFS export on the same =
folder;
> here are a few snippets from the console, which confirm this.
>=20
> [bsd03: /root/oss/crochet-freebsd]# tail -n2 /etc/inetd.conf=20
> tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd =
-l -s /opt/tftpboot
> tftp    dgram   udp6    wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd =
-l -s /opt/tftpboot
> [bsd03: /root/oss/crochet-freebsd]# cat /etc/exports
> /opt/tftpboot -maproot=3D0 -alldirs -network 192.168.0.0 -mask =
255.255.255.0
> [bsd03: /root/oss/crochet-freebsd]# showmount -e
> Exports list on localhost:
> /opt/tftpboot                      192.168.0.0=20
>=20
> I have built (using the excellent crochet facility) and can boot =
FreeBSD from
> the microSD card, and I have verified that I can NFS mount the =
exported folder.
>=20
> Then, I created a custom kernel configuration, BEAGLEBONENFSROOT, with
> just a couple changes, as follows:
>=20
> options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as /, requires =
NFSCL
> options         =
ROOTDEVNAME=3D\"nfs:192.168.0.198:/opt/tftpboot/beaglebone\"
>=20
> And, then I built the kernel from the command line, with DESTDIR into =
my target
> folder for NFS root, doing all the make targets in turn; buildworld, =
buildkernel,
> installkernel, installworld, distrib-dirs, distribution ...

I'm not 100% sure but it might be NFS version mismatch. AFAIR we have
now both NFSv3 and NFSv4 in kernel. NFSv3 prefix is oldnfs, NFSv4 prefix =
is nfs
(or is it newnfs too?). NFSv3 is enabled by NFSCLIENT. Make sure you =
server NFS
and client NFS versions are synced.=20