Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:59:29 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: /etc/disktab and stuff

Apparently, J Wunsch scribbled:
> As Bruce Evans wrote:
> > >Does it make sense to attempt to collect people's /etc/disktab entries
> > >and make them more available in the (next) released /etc/disktab?
> >
> > No.  You would need a hundred entries for each of a few hundred disks
> > to get a reasonable coverage.
>
> Seconded, especially since /etc/disktab is actually
> /etc/disk&partitiontab.

Hmm...  That's a good point.  Perhaps then, it makes sense to make
say, two or three entries for the top 20 disks used.  One entry for
an a/b/e or a/b/e/f bootable disk and one for a c only disk.
Would those two cases cover 90% of the questions we see frequently?:

    - I've got a brand-spanking new Whizzle Disk and I want to
      put FreeBSD on it, but I can't label it...

    - I'm trying to add a second Osifragge disk to my system.
      How do I label it?

Granted, it wouldn't provide the ultimate set of entries, but it
just might provide enough useful information or cases that many
questions could be answered.

Certainly, having disklabel figure it all out automatically or
computing it all internally would be nice -- if reliable and
provided complete coverage.

Heck, I don't know.

jdl