Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:45:14 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        ports list <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 6100 subdirectories in /usr/ports/devel!

On 29/12/17 5:16 am, Bob Willcox wrote:

>>> It is. But py-* stuff has second place only:
>>>
>>> $ ls /usr/ports/devel | sed 's/-.*//' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head
>>> 1908 p5
>>>   964 py
>>>   600 rubygem
>>>   280 hs
>>>   176 pear
>>>    57 R
>>>    56 pecl
>>>    48 elixir
>>>    47 geany
>>>    43 erlang
>> In fact, ports/devel is first but not only category having similar problem with p5-* stuff:
>>
>> $ cd /usr/ports
>> $ find . -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 | while read category; do printf "%15s " ${category#./}; ls $category | sed 's/-.*//' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head -1; done | sort -k 2,2 -rn | head -15
>>            devel 1908 p5
>>              www  807 p5
>>         textproc  617 p5
>>              net  327 p5
>>        databases  259 p5
>>         security  258 p5
>>             math  146 p5
>>             mail  145 p5
>>         graphics  100 p5
>>          editors   98 libreoffice
>>         sysutils   75 rubygem
>>       converters   72 p5
>>             misc   63 p5
>>         net-mgmt   56 p5
>>     x11-toolkits   49 p5
>>
> Yeah, I happened to notice the py-* stuff due to some problems I have been
> having with synth. I did notice the large number of p5-* subdirs but didn't
> count them.  :)
>
> Certainly seems to be out of control...

the py and p5 stuff is a symptom of another problem, which is that we
are only second level for those files...

the correct behaviour in my point of view is for our packages/ports
system to delegate to pypi or similar for python and to CPAN for perl.

maybe with the ability to add some patches on the way through.. There
is just too much going on there for us to follow properly.