Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:57:12 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@tanimura.dyndns.org>
To:        John Baldwin <john@baldwin.cx>
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@tanimura.dyndns.org>
Subject:   Re: Is MTX_CONTESTED evil?

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:09:48 -0500,
  John Baldwin <john@baldwin.cx> said:

john> On Tuesday 16 March 2004 12:19 am, Seigo Tanimura wrote:
>> _mtx_unlock_sleep() currently wakes up only one thread being blocked,
>> and leaves MTX_CONTESTED on a mutex.  According to Solaris Internals,
>> that strategy adds an overhead to check for MTX_CONTESTED on a mutex,
>> even though it is not held by any thread.  The thread waken up cannot
>> grab the mutex immediately by _obtain_lock() and have to go through
>> _mtx_lock_sleep().  The penalty tends to be large for a mutex with a
>> high contention, and we have at least one of such a mutex - Giant.
>>
>> What would it be like if we axed MTX_CONTEST and let
>> _mtx_unlock_sleep() wake up all of the blocked threads?

john> We wouldn't be able to axe MTX_CONTEST.  We also use it to determine on unlock
john> if we can unlock easily or if we have waiters that we need to awake.  The
john> only way we might be able to axe MTX_CONTEST would be to penalize every
john> unlock operation requiring a turnstile lookup (spin lock acquire/release +
john> hash table lookup) even unlocks of an uncontested mutex.  However, what I
john> think you want to do is get rid of the mtx_lock == MTX_CONTESTED case and use
john> turnstile_wakeup() rather than turnstile_signal()?  Is that what you are

Yes.  What I an wondering is whether the reduction of the cost due to
a mutex with waiters and no holders can beat the cost of waking up all
the waiters on the turnstile.

john> asking?  That is something we can try at some point in the future, but we
john> would need to benchmark both ways.  What we might can do is add a kernel
john> option MUTEX_WAKE_ALL or some such that uses the Solaris behavior.  Having it
john> be an option like ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES makes it easier to benchmark both cases.

On the detection of the waiters by MTX_CONTEST, maybe we can test
MTX_CONTEST on mtx_lock before performing _release_lock().  If the
test succeeds, _mtx_unlock_sleep() must be called and we do not need
to perform an atomic test-and-set.  A race can occur if the mutex is
locked after the MTX_CONTEST test, but _release_lock() should then
cover the case.

Pseudocode:

mtx_unlock(m)
{
	if (m->mtx_lock & MTX_CONTEST || !_release_lock(m))
		_mtx_unlock_sleep(m);
}

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@tanimura.dyndns.org> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>