Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:22:10 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "jimmy martin" <hate00@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:16:45 GMT, "jimmy martin" wrote:

> Ive been told that my sysdate may be messed up and to run xntpd, which
> i did but do not know what it does or if it fixes my problem, any know
> about xntpd?

Yes, the problems you were having looked very much like a problem with
your clock.  Use the ``date'' command from the command-line to see
whether your system's clock looks right.  Does it?  If not, then you're
probably not using something like xntpd to keep your clock synchronized.

The xntpd daemon runs on your system and checks the time on other hosts
which you specify, changing the local time to agree with theirs if
necessary.  It can do a lot more than that, but that's all you need it
to do in your case.

This isn't the only way to fix the clock on your host, it's just a good
way to _keep_ it fixed.  The problem is that the xntpd manual page is a
little overwhelming. :-)

Presumably you added these lines to your /etc/rc.conf and rebooted:

	ntpdate_enable="YES"
	xntpd_enable="YES"

Also, you should have added (before rebooting, obviously) some lines to
your /etc/ntp.conf that looks like this:

	server ntp0.example.com
	server ntp.myisp.com
	server clock.myoffice.com

Don't use those, find out what you should be using.  Talk to your
network provider about it.  If they won't help you, try the list of
public NTP servers at

	http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm

Ciao,
Sheldon.

PS: You don't have to reboot just to get xntpd running; once you've made
    the necessary changes to /etc/rc.conf and /etc/ntp.conf, just do
    this:

    /usr/sbin/xntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid