Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 16:39:13 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@ref.tfs.com
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, pst@Shockwave.COM
Subject:   Re: kern/248: scbus attach/probe printf inconsistency

>> This happens because fdisk/disklabel are confused.  They have problems

>Bruce, if I can expect you to sit in the receiving end of all emails relating
>to this, then the printf can stay, otherwise I will use my release-engineer
>hat, and say: it must die.

We should both read less mail and quietly fix the problem.

>I'm willing to accept "die" to mean:
>	only be printed when bootverbose is set.

>But in a normal boot I don't want to see it.  The <1% of our users who care,
>can certainly be bothered to do a "boot -v" to see it.

Where are users supposed to get the correct information from?  The C/H/S
info printed by the driver is the _only_ info obtained in a reliable way
(at least if you fix the info printing bug introduced in revision 1.31
of wd.c).  The geometry guessed from the partition table is only
guaranteed to be correct if there is a BSD partition and
whoever/whatever wrote the BSD partition table entry used the correct
geometry and made sure that the ending H/S for the BSD partition give
the geometry.  If there is no partition table, then the driver geometry
is used.  The BIOS geometry should be used for everything to do with
partition tables.  However, it is only used for old (ST506) drives.  It
is only printed if the bootverbose flag is set :-(.

The geometry guessed from the partition table is usually correct iff
a DOS partition is installed first (:-() and if this partition satisfies
the BSD convention for the ending H/S (it usually does).

Bruce