Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:28:20 +0100
From:      Astrid Jekat <jekat@jps-sun.cyberlab.de>
To:        Alan Ruedlinger <alanr@tig.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG, Astrid Jekat <jekat@jps-sun.cyberlab.de>
Subject:   Re: Sybase(Linux) under FreeBSD 3.4

Hello again!

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 01:09:59AM +1100, Alan Ruedlinger wrote:
> If it's any consolation, I had this version of Sybase running under both FreeBSD3.2 and FreeBSD3.3 (see my notes at
> http://crash.tig.com.au/~alanr/sybase.html).   What you've done in terms of kernel changes and user/group creation sounds right.
>
> It's failing at the network listener stage which is odd, since I would have expected to fail a lot sooner if your initial config
> files/setting were incorrect.

Happily, the problem is fixed - the machine's hostname was not set correctly.
*boo*

After fixing it the database and backup server built properly, and I contacted
the db with isql and have a prompt  :-)

To put it in a nutshell:
I installed FreeBSD 3.4, recompiled the kernel with the shared mem options
mentioned below (are not in the default kernel), got Sybase 11.9.2
(RedHat rpms), installed those with rpm --hiv --nodeps --ignoreos
<packagename>, made sure ownership and group were correct (sybase sybase),
started srvbuild, voila.

Very nice - now the Sybase guy has to play with it. put stuff in the db, and
I will run some benchmarks on it. And contact it remotely...

--
Astrid Jekat
System Administration