Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:45:01 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: libc shlib version

> We certainly can.  But I didn't realize were were arguing vs. discussing
> the issue.  (A discussion that needs to happen sooner or later)

Discussion is something one has when one has time.  As it is, there
will already be one FreeBSD product (a book) going out with 4.2 as it
stands today since there was no other way to meet their publishing
deadline and they believed our original estimate of the 15th when they
set their own schedules.  That's why push-backs are so painful and not
simply a matter of dissapointing a few users when people ask me for
release slides - the business world, with which we occasionally
cooperate, can't operate to such fuzzy schedules.

> Satoshi has already agreed for the most part that a shared version bump
> won't fix what he wanted to fix.  He will just end up putting the new

So this sounds to me like we no longer need to bump it?  I wish
everyone could just make up their minds!  If we haven't changed any
interfaces in -stable since 4.1 then we don't need to bump anything.
If we have, we do, that's just how shared library versions work.  I
don't understand all this prevarication over what would be "easy" or
"difficult" since the rules on this have always been crystal clear:
You change a library interface, you bump the number.  If you change
those interfaces in between every release, then you're stupid and
deserve to lose but you still gotta bump the number.

What I haven't understood at any point is just what the hell changed
and why Roger Hardiman's packages broke.  Anybody care to clear this
up?  I'm starting to wonder if we've simply been chasing a red herring
the whole time and the problem has nothing to do with this since
nobody involved can state anything definitive as to WHY this has to
happen or even what was changed.

- Jordan