Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:07:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jazepeda@pacbell.net (Alex Zepeda)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis), brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), newton@internode.com.au (Mark Newton), chat@FreeBSD.ORG, K.J.Koster@kpn.com (Koster K.J.), wes@FreeBSD.ORG (Wes Peters)
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

> > As for clean air...Im all for it. You might disagree with specific
> > things being done, but if nothing were done 20 years ago you wouldnt
> > be able to breath in LA at all. Same here in NY.
>
> Yes, but look at the fact that for a fuel injected car with an oxygen
> sensor (i.e. Lambada-Sond for many European cars), oxygenated fuel just
> means that more fuel is burnt, creating more pollution.  Sure the exhaust
> is marginally cleaner, but there's also going to be more of the "cleaner"
> exhaust.

All fuel injected cars manufactured since 1982 have been Federally
required to have Oxygen sensors.

The University of Denver did a study that found Oxygenated fuels
on average increase pollution, not reduce it, and the ratio of
card that benefit from Oxygenated fuels have been dropping
steadily, ever since Oxygen sensors were introduced, as older
cars are retired.

Oxygenated fuels _never_ helped carbuerated vehicles to burn
cleaner.

> MTBE causes more harm than good.  Sure the air in metropolitan areas (Bay
> Area, LA, NY) is better than it was 20 or 30 years ago, but with the
> creeping SUVitis, it's starting to get worse.  Sure the exhaust is
> cleaner, but there's so much more of it that it is still overwhelming the
> environment.

This is actually not a benefit of MTBE.  MTBE is actually a waste
chemical from other chemical plant processing; it's strange that it
(like fluoride, in toothpaste, a waste product of aluminum processing)
was ever incorporated.

There was a joke going around a while back that the Japanese had
solved the emissions problem totally, and that the emissions we
see from cards today are actually them disposing of their remaining
atmospheric pollution by shipping it over in cannisters as part of
new vehicles, to release it slowly over the lifetime of the otherwise
completely clean-burning vehicle.

8-) 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org