Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:08:00 -0700
From:      "Brett Glass at POST-IW1"<Brett_Glass_at_POST-IW1@infoworld.com>
To:        ben@narcissus.ml.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it safe?

New Text Item:  Re: Is it safe?

2.2.0-R is in gamma. What I'm concerned about, again, is that there could
be security holes in the code -- or Trojan horses in the ports and
packages -- that might make it to release.

--Brett

It's safe, but you're going to have a hard time finding 2.2R, as it doesn't
yet exist.

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 Brett_Glass@infoworld.com wrote:

> I have two FreeBSD machines here -- one running a late SNAP of 2.1.5 and
> another running 2.1.0-R. I'd been waiting to update them to 2.2.0-R, but
> due to the recent break-in at cdrom.com I'm wondering if
it is not best to
> hold off -- especially because the ports and packages could have been
> affected. Since the FreeBSD team didn't write these, and they're
binaries, > they could hide Trojan horses very easily.

> What was the last released version of FreeBSD before the earliest known >
break-in?

> --Brett

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."
SMTPOriginator: ben@narcissus.ml.org