Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:34:18 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        K?vesd?n G?bor <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
Cc:        hal <hal@cc.usu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7 --> 6.0 via cvsup

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:19:54PM +0100, K?vesd?n G?bor wrote:
> hal wrote:
>=20
> >I have a system running 4.7.  Can I upgrade it to
> >6.0 via cvsup?  If not what is the best way?
> >
> Afaik, You must upgrade to 5.x first and then You can move to 6.x.=20

Yes.  It might be easier to do a binary upgrade (i.e. download 6.0
release media, use sysinstall's 'upgrade' option), or even to backup
and reinstall from scratch.

> Anyway FreeBSD 4.x uses an older and slower filesystem UFS1, whilst=20
> FreeBSD 5.x and newer uses UFS2.

There is no measurable speed difference between UFS1 and 2, it's only
feature differences (e.g. ACL support).

Kris

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--