Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:06:50 -0700
From:      "Nick Friese" <nesboy28@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, imp@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCIC based PCMCIA card

After a long time trying to figure out how to get my PCIC based PCMCIA
controller to work, I hit IRC.FREENODE.NET to ask #freebsd.

I had recompiled/installed my kernel with'device pcic' and made sure i had
'device wi' there (for my cabletron roamabout pc card). Upon reboot  i saw
'PCICO AT PORT 0x3e0 IOMEM 0xd000 - 0xdifff IRQ 3 on ISA0' and then
'pcic_attach found no sockets' and last 'device_probe_and_attach returned
6'. IFCONFIG -A didnt show a wi0 or any 'wi' interfaces (just loop and the
ethernet card). Nothing about the wifi card showed up when the kernel was
card back in - no text appeared on the console, no detection.

When I asked in the channel, someone by the handle 'masta' told me that pcic
hardware was hard to come by and that my help might be needed to debug the
'bus-driver'. He also gave me the name "Warner Losh" and his email address.

Is it really true that these PCIC based PCMCIA controllers are hard to come
by?  Why is the PCIC code broken?

I am willing to help test and debug any new modules for these PCIC
controllers.

---EXTRA INFO:
the BSD box is a 233Mhz Pentium Classic (MMX) with 256MB of ram, 4GB hard
drive.  The PCMCIA controller card is a ISA card and right now I have a
'Cabletron RoamAbout 802.11b" pc card installed in it. Useless info: box has
a USB 2.0 controller (VIA), ATI Rage Pro Turbo based All-in-Wonder, and some
other spare parts. Its really just a spare parts box that i was looking into
making a router (and maybe a wifi AP).

Thanks,
Nick A. Fries

"Black holes are where God divided by zero."
- Steven Wright

Service.  Try it FREE for one month!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup